Search This Blog

Saturday 22 March 2014

Yesterday and Today: Photo Essay

 I thought I'd take a break from writing, and feature some photos of hotels past and present.

Cupar

The windows had awnings back then. 

 

1918. Source

Joan Champ photo, 2008.

Kerrobert

The third storey has been removed.

c. 1925. Source

Google Street View, 2013.

 

Kisbey

This hotel has disappeared since I was there in 2006.  You can tell from my photo that it was on its way out.

 

1917. Source

Joan Champ photo, 2006.

 

Limerick

Sometimes they just closed off the third floor.

 

Source

Google Street View, 2012.

 

Morse

Looks like it was a popular place back then.

 

1913. Source

2011.  Photo courtesy of Kristine Montgomery

 

Shellbrook

Verandahs were considered a fire hazard, so they were removed. 

 

c. 1912. Source

Joan Champ photo, 2011.

 

Whitewood

During Prohibition, the hotel in Whitewood ran a den of iniquity known as the Snake Room where liquor was illegally served.  It still had a thriving bar when I was there last.

 
Armstrong Hotel in Whitewood, c. 1905. Source


Joan Champ photo, 2006.

 


4 comments:

  1. What is the oldest hotel you have a picture of? Some of these look like they were back in the 70's. I would love to see more pictures.

    William | http://www.edsonguesthouse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the oldest SK hotel photo I've come across is the c. 1885 photo in my post about the Commercial Hotel at Maple Creek. I try to include photos in all of my blog posts, and I have done some other "photo essays" in earlier posts. Thanks for your interest!

      Delete
  2. Fascinating post. Thank you so much for sharing. Greetings from Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out my blog! I love Montreal and visit your fabulous city often - mainly during the Jazz Festival. A bientot!

      Delete