|The Commercial Hotel at Harris, c. 1910. From Harris: Heritage to Homage (1982)|
In 1910, three of the seven Gordon brothers bought Commercial Hotel in Harris. Little did Henry (Hank), Wallace and Merritt Gordon know that a few years later, their hotel would be the headquarters for one of the most infamous events ever to take place in Saskatchewan.
|Raw rubies from a mine. Image source|
|From Harris: Heritage to Homage (1982)|
|Harris Hotel, 1980. From Harris: Heritage to Homage (1980)|
It was not until 1950 that Harris got another hotel. Fraser Laing moved a building from the “24 Wilson Farm” onto two lots on Railway Avenue and started the Harris Hotel, complete with beer parlour and family restaurant. A 2011 real estate listing stated that the hotel was not operating. The seven guest rooms were in need of renovations and the second floor required a fire escape. The hotel was for sale for the "drastically reduced" price of $99,000.
|Harris Hotel, 2005. Photo courtesy of Ruth Bitner|